- "I've gathered this crew and they're loyal, because I am loyal... and because we share a vision. One where the blood we spill and the treasures we plunder are in the name of our own free will and nothing more."
—Atriox to would-be assassins of his."
- ―Atriox to would-be assassins of his.
The Banished is a mercenary organization and splinter faction of the former Covenant Empire that rose to power after the conclusion of the Human-Covenant War. The organization is led by the Jiralhanae warlord, Atriox.
Being a splinter group of the former Covenant, the Banished fought against the hegemony while it was at war with humanity. Unimpeded by the Covenant's devastating internal conflict, the Banished managed to salvage much of the empire's power after its eventual fall. At some point before 2559, the Banished also came into conflict with humanity. In 2559, twenty-eight years after the UNSC Spirit of Fire lost contact with the rest of the United Nations Space Command, the vessel arrived at the extra-galactic Forerunner structure known as Installation 00, only to find that a UNSC research base on its surface had been attacked by the Banished, leaving no survivors but Isabel, a smart AI. Soon afterward, the crew of the Spirit of Fire engaged the Banished in combat.
- Atriox: Commander of the faction's massive army.
- Decimus: A general in the Banished.
- Let 'Volir: A Sangheili shipmaster reluctantly serving the Banished in exchange for supplies for his CAS-class assault carrier Enduring Conviction and crew.
- A large number of Jiralhanae.
- Several Sangheili from the Enduring Conviction and three Special Operations Sangheili from the Silent Shadow, a former Covenant Special Operations unit.
- Several Mgalekgolo
- Several Unggoy
- Several Huragok
Having salvaged and repurposed a great deal of Covenant matériel, the Banished are well equipped with a wide range of military technology.
Most of the infantry personnel of the Banished are equipped with crimson armor, including Jiralhanae power armor, Sangheili combat harnesses and Unggoy combat harnesses. Additionally, the Banished employ specialist Jiralhanae soldiers known as Jump-pack Jiralhanae, who are equipped with jump pack propulsion systems.
Weapons used by the organization include the Type-1 energy sword, Type-2 gravity hammer, Type-25 Spiker, Type-51 Carbine, Type-25 Brute shot, Type-25 plasma pistol and a mace-like weapon called Chainbreaker used by Atriox.
The vehicles at their disposal include the Blisterback mobile missile battery, Shroud aerial stealth vehicle, Marauder, and Reaver. The Spike turret is used for static defense. They also field the Type-25 Chopper, Type-25 Spirit, Type-26 Banshee, Type-26 Wraith, Type-30 Locust, Type-32 Ghost, Type-47 Scarab and Type-56 Lich all of which depart from typical Covenant aesthetics. They also have at least one CAS-class assault carrier, the Enduring Conviction, and at one point captured the SDV-class heavy corvette, Elegy's Lament.